Thursday, August 28, 2008

A view from the other side

Hallo Freunden! Yes, you're now about to get some stories from the other half of Chenda. It is I, Brenda! It's been a week full of activity. So much so that it feels like we've been here more than just one week! 

Let's see... Today was my second day of rehearsals for "The Magic Flute". Rehearsals are going well, don't get me wrong, but you must know that I don't WANT the show to go up on Sunday, contrary to what Chad may have quoted me on. I'm very happy we still have a week before we open. :-) I think I'll feel quite comfortable by then. The Assistant Director has been so wonderfully patient and kind, and the rest of the cast that I've met are truly great in every way. After rehearsal last night we went out to a bar/restaurant right across from the opera house called Chicago Meat Packers. Pretty funny! I had a German specialty beer. I believe they call it "Samuel Adams". I also experienced how Germans do Mexican food. My nachos came covered in cheese, with sides of guacamole and sour cream, all very good - except they seem to be confused about what salsa is, as I was given a little dish of what appeared to be ketchup. Hmm...

I feel much more calm in general, having taken care of the residence permit and whatnot. Yesterday was the first time I came close to tears. But the day ended marvelously so all is good! I love hearing German around me all the time, and now all I need is to understand it. Rehearsals happen in English and German for now. The English part is for me. Everyone else is brilliantly fluent, and I hope to join them someday. Sometimes I actually do understand conversations quite well, but my vocabulary is just too small. I hope my new colleagues don't mind my 3 year old vocab! I really need to find some small children to practice with... "Do you like cars?" "Yes, I like cars!" ... "Do you like green cars, or red cars?" That might be as much I can say... But I could substitute cars with bikes, or flowers perhaps... Very stimulating conversations indeed. 

Well I think I shall end it there. Chad just came back from his run, so now I have him to entertain me! We sign our apartment contract tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited about that. It will be so nice to have a home! I hope you're all doing well, and I wish you all were here to enjoy a beer or coffee with us. Viele Liebe!

1 comment:

The Graham Family said...

I have to say guys that I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. You guys are awesome! I'm so glad you are enjoying yourselves there as well. We miss you here though, so don't get too comfortable. ;)