Tuesday, June 17, 2014

forest creatures

Hey all! I'm happy to report that Frankfurt has cooled down since last week, and Brenda and I have been taking advantage of the great weather by going for jogs and strolls. One such outing took us into the city forest where we came across all sorts of wildlife. Luckily we had a camera handy...

Our walks to the forest take us by a collection of gardens that are tended by people who live in the city. On our most recent walk we noticed several snails on the path by the gardens. We concluded that gardeners viewed the snails as pests and were throwing them onto the path. Since we were headed that way anyway, Brenda decided to take one of the snails to the city forest where it would have a lower risk of being stepped on by a passerby.

The next creature we came across was this crane (stork?). It was very suspicious of Brenda as she tried to get closer to take a picture. 

 Shortly thereafter Brenda noticed this little creature hopping along the ground. At first I thought it was a bug of some kind but on closer inspection it turned out to be a tiny frog (or maybe a toad?).

We saw another creature on our forest walk that we did not take a picture of: a dead bee. I know that bees are a common sight, but this was the first time we'd seen a bee that big. It was around two inches long. It was probably a wasp or a hornet, but I really don't know. Whatever it was, we'll be keeping a look out for any others like it the next time we wander up into the forest.

Other than enjoying some time outdoors, Brenda has been busy working on music. While she only has one performance left at Oper Frankfurt this season, she had another gig tonight where she sang several songs as a part of an event for international airport executives. I don't know much about it other than that, although Brenda just got home so I'm sure she'll fill me in on the details. We're off to Santa Fe this weekend and are already looking forward to some delicious Mexican food. I hope you have a great week, and we'll talk to you next Tuesday!



No comments: