Tuesday, November 4, 2014

finding the right balance

Hey all! I hope you had a nice Halloween. We decided to celebrate the holiday by watching a movie on Netflix which, by the way, just started offering its streaming services in Germany in September. It wasn't a scary movie because, well, I'm a bit of a wimp, but it was still Halloweeny. Much to my surprise, Brenda and I saw several people around town also getting into the holiday spirit. There were real live trick or treaters ringing a doorbell just a few blocks from our apartment building, and Brenda saw kids in costume on the subway. It looks like Halloween is starting to take hold in Germany.

With Halloween behind us, Christmas is up next (unless Thanksgiving starts to catch on, but that seems unlikely). Of course, stores are already selling stollen, advent calendars, and Christmas decorations, but the Christmas markets are still a few weeks away. The other day, however, Brenda and I were able to enjoy a little preview of what's to come. We went for a walk around Frankfurt and came across a stand that was selling Glühwein, bratwurst and french fries (aka the three German Christmas food groups). It wasn't terribly cold outside (Germany had its third warmest October in over a century this year), but the Glühwein still tasted as good as it did last year.

 You'll probably see more pictures like this one next month.

 Since we're on the topic of food, I thought I'd share pictures of a dinner Brenda made a few nights ago. Our main course was a delicious pastry dough filled with roasted mixed vegetables and feta.

As a side dish we had minty mushy peas, which were really tasty.

Lest you think we're eating too well, Brenda and I have been jogging regularly to balance out our caloric intake. The city forest is still our favorite jogging spot.

In other news, Brenda has been rehearsing a lot. She had the day off on Sunday, and she really enjoyed it. Good thing because she probably won't get another one for three more weeks. Speaking of which, Brenda is about to leave for rehearsal now, and I'd better say goodbye. I hope you all have a wonderful week, and we'll talk to you next Tuesday! 

P.S. Happy Birthday, Jim!

2 comments:

insuranceguy said...

Keep having fun. I love "traveling" with the two of you. If I can't be there, I can still travel through you. The Gluhwein transfer does not work however. :-)

Chad said...

You're right, the Glühwein transfer can be pretty hard on computers. :-) I hope you've been enjoying some traveling of your own recently!