Hey Folks! Brenda and I are currently on a train to Berlin, which makes this the third time we've written the blog from a train in the last two months (apparently we like to travel on Tuesdays). We were a little worried that the train wouldn't actually be running today because a German train drivers' union has decided to go on strike. It is quite an extensive strike, too, that began yesterday and is supposed to last until Sunday morning. But unless I'm dreaming, we are on a train and it appears to be moving, so our driver must be in a different union.
When I wrote to you last week, Brenda was busy rehearsing for Die Ägyptische Helena. She has since had both performances, and the show was a great success. I only went to the first performance, but the applause at the end was unusually enthusiastic. German opera audiences seem to love Strauss, especially when it's as well performed as it was in Frankfurt this weekend. Speaking of Strauss, Brenda begins rehearsals this evening for a new production of Strauss's Ariadne auf Naxos in Berlin, an opera she has already sung at other opera houses and recorded in Frankfurt.
Brenda in her dressing room during the intermission on Friday.
So Brenda did it. She managed to learn thirteen new roles over the past year and a half. I'm not sure she's eager to repeat that experience, but it's good to know she can do it if she has to. Most of her upcoming roles are repeats, so hopefully she can actually relax next season when she's not rehearsing or performing.
During our brief stay in Frankfurt, we squeezed in as much time with friends as possible. As a final hurrah, we met up with Barb and Michael at a nice restaurant not far from the opera house. It was a beautiful evening, and we enjoyed sitting outside (without coats!) for the first time since last summer.
Studs.
Drinking buddies.
I hope you all have a great week, and we'll talk to you next Tuesday!

No comments:
Post a Comment