Thursday, March 23, 2017

birthday boy

Good morning! It's about 8:30 in the morning, and I've been awake for almost three hours. Oh how our lives have changed in the last year. Our spring baby had his first birthday earlier this week, and we enjoyed celebrating with Uncle Drew and honorary Aunt and Uncle Barb and Michael. Rowan got to open presents, eat cake, and play with his party guests. He had a lot of fun.

Brenda made little "healthy" cakes for the party, and Rowan got one 
of his very own to destroy. She put a little sugar in them just so he could
have his first taste. Surprisingly he didn't go crazy!

I'm struck by how much Rowan has changed over the past year, especially when compared to how little I have. Since his birth he's tripled in weight and is half again as long, he learned how to make eye contact, sit up, eat solid foods, crawl, blow raspberries, and has even taken a few tentative steps in the last few days. In contrast, we've been living in Germany for eight and a half years and I still don't know the German word for toaster. (Wait, let me look it up. Oh good. It's "der Toaster.") I'm in awe watching this beautiful little boy grow, and I'm so thankful that even with the vagabond nature of Brenda's work we all still get to be together.

Uncle Drew flew back home yesterday after a fun (and chocolate) filled week. We're so glad he was here for Rowan's birthday and also for Brenda's first performance of Rigoletto on Sunday. We're looking forward to more visitors tomorrow. Brenda's parents arrive early tomorrow morning, and I'm sure they're excited to see Rowan take another step or two.

I hope you all have a great week, and we'll talk to you next time!

No comments: