Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dresden

Hey all! I hope you all had a great weekend. We certainly did because we went to Dresden! On Saturday, after Brenda and Florian finished their rehearsal, we hopped in Florian's car and headed east. After around four and a half hours we arrived at our destination with enough time to eat something before the show. "What show?" you ask. Well, we went to Dresden to see our friend Christoph perform the role of the Count in the Marriage of Figaro.

The beautiful Semperoper in Dresden.
If you care to learn more about it you can do so here.

The musical part of the performance was outstanding and Christoph was easily one of the best singers in the cast. Music aside, it was really a pleasure to sit in such a beautiful opera house and enjoy the incredible craftsmanship that went into making such an impressive building.

Mehrnaz and Christoph

After the performance we returned to Christoph and Mehrnaz' place, where we stayed for the night. Mehrnaz is Christoph's wife and Brenda and I met her for the first time that day at the opera house. We had a wonderful (wonnevoll) evening getting to know Mehrnaz and we had plenty of opportunity to use our German skills.

The next morning, Christoph and Mehrnaz invited over two other friends and made breakfast for all of us. The two other friends, Aaron and Annie, happen to be Americans. Aaron is a tenor who works at the Semperopera and he and Annie are starting their 2nd season in Germany this year.
Annie and Brenda

the boys
(in case you hadn't figured it out, that's Aaron on the right)

Sunday afternoon we did a bit of sightseeing and discovered how beautiful Dresden really is. I have been wanting to visit Dresden ever since I read Slaughterhouse-Five and am very glad we had the opportunity to go this weekend. Unfortunately, our time in Dresden was limited to 24 hours since Brenda and Florian actually have jobs. We look forward to returning sometime soon.

In other news, it looks as though the apartment in Sachsenhausen is going to work out. I'll feel more confident about it once we sign a contract but, until then, Brenda and I are both happy that we don't have to worry about apartment hunting anymore.

I hope you all are doing great and I will talk to you next week!

No comments: