Tuesday, September 28, 2010

opera singers on the move

Hey all! Ok enough chit-chat, let's get down to business. This is a busy week for us: Brenda is in her final week of rehearsals for the Tales of Hoffman, I started German classes yesterday and we are moving into a new apartment. Usually I have quite a bit of free time on my hands here in good old Deutschland but this week everything is happening at the same time.

We love our new apartment. Brenda was kind enough to take a few pictures of the new place but, since we're still sleeping at the old place, our internet connection isn't fast enough for me to post them to the blog. I will post some pics later this week.

On Saturday we had a great time picking out some new furniture at Ikea. At the top of our list was a bed, a couch and a kitchen table (with chairs). We succeeded in picking out all of the above and were able to buy the bed and table but the couch is on back order. The bed and table arrived at our new place today. I was in class when the items arrived but Brenda and Florian were at the apartment to receive our new purchases. Somehow Brenda suckered Florian into putting together the kitchen table and all 4 chairs as well as wiring in three ceiling lights throughout the apartment. When I got to the apartment after class we tackled the bed. If you've ever bought anything from Ikea then you know, putting their products together involves a little more than 15 minutes and a screwdriver. Florian, Marlar, Brenda and I spent somewhere around 2 hours putting the bed together. Of course, pizza and beer may have slowed the process down but at least morale was high.

My German class is pretty intense. I'm there for 3 and 1/2 hours, 5 days a week. My impression after the first two days of class is that my German is far worse than I thought it was. However, it seems to be better than many of my classmates' German but that is little consolation. I'm committed to the class for the next 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I'll continue beyond that point.

Brenda's opera premieres on Sunday. I'm super excited to see it and it seems like Brenda is just as excited to perform it. I'll tell you all about it in next week's entry. Until then, I hope you have a great week!

No comments: