Hey All! Since I wrote to you last I've finished gathering all of the basic items I need for Brenda's and my apartment in Iowa. Among other things we now have a bed, a shower curtain, and a coffee maker that is fancy enough it could probably take my law classes for me. I've also obtained my law school necessities: books ($770 for 10 books is a good deal, right?), a student ID, and a parking permit. I have a week of law school orientation starting on Sunday that includes a one-week, one-credit course that is pass/fail. If I fail the orientation course I get to take the test over again until I pass it. I'm hoping that's what all of law school will be like.
Meanwhile in Europe, Brenda has her 11th performance (of 15) of Rinaldo tomorrow. She doesn't have that much time left in the UK, which, for selfish reasons, I'm quite happy about. As soon as Brenda's done in England she's coming to see me. This morning Brenda went to the final dress rehearsal of the Turn of the Screw. It is the last production to go up this summer at Glyndebourne. Brenda thoroughly enjoyed the production and the singing. The Turn of the Screw, which was composed by Benjamin Britten, is a wonderful opera that Brenda and I both adore.
As far as I can tell, Brenda seems to be enjoying life in England in spite of my absence. I'm not saying she is happy that I left, but I think she is making the best of the situation. She has been spending more time with her fellow cast members, and she has been working on new music that needs to be learned. Glyndebourne has rooms that Brenda can use to practice and she has been taking advantage of them. When the weather allows it, Brenda walks to Glyndebourne to get some exercise and to enjoy the beautiful downs. On one of her recent walks to Glyndebourne, Brenda apparently caught the attention of a nearby sheep. The sheep began to chase after Brenda, which prompted Brenda to change her walk along the downs into a run along the downs. I don't know why, but the image of Brenda running down a big grassy hill while being pursued by a baaing, fluffy-coated sheep brings a smile to my face. Not that I blame her. I was on those same downs, and when I was surrounded by scores of sheep I was prepared to pick up my pace if I saw a pair of cute little horns coming at me.
Last Friday was my father's birthday. To celebrate, my parents and I hit the links. We had a great time and, with the exception of about 10 minutes, we were able to avoid the rain. Through sheer dumb luck I managed to birdie a hole. My parents, rightly believing it to be a once-in-a-lifetime accomplishment for me, decided to take a picture to commemorate the occasion.
Well, I had better call it a night. I hope you all have a great week and I'll talk to you next Tuesday!

1 comment:
Brenda, we played the "running from sheep" scenario over and over again in our heads... Dan and I would have done the same thing. :-)
Post a Comment