Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Clean clothes once again

Hey All! Things have been pretty calm here in Mainhattan since I wrote to you on Saturday. Brenda went to Munich for a couple of rehearsals and is on a train heading home at this very moment. I stayed home and tidied up the apartment a little bit. We had been neglecting it due to our recent travels. Not to mention the mountain of clothes (actually there were a couple of mountains - I guess you could call it a mountain range of clothes) that had piled up since our washing machine broke. You can imagine my excitement today when our new washing machine arrived. 

I think we should name him.

I felt bad for the two delivery guys who had to carry the washing machine up the 65 stairs to our apartment, install it, and then carry our old washing machine back down. I think they felt bad about it, too.

I thought I'd share a few more pictures with you from our travels. Below is a picture of a park near where I'll be studying in Hamburg this fall. If you look closely you can just make out the corner of a building below that radio tower. That is Bucerius Law School. It's actually quite close to the opera house in Hamburg so I'll be able to see a show when I'm sick of studying.


When my parents and I were in Berlin, we stayed at a friend's apartment that is right next to Brandenburger Tor. Our trip happened to coincide with two European soccer championship games, and Germany was playing in one of them. Brandenburger Tor is right next to a big park, and the city of Berlin uses the area for special events like New Years Eve celebrations and viewing major soccer games. The night that Germany played there were thousands of people gathered right outside of our apartment watching the game on huge TV screens. 

Brandenburger Tor

 Our view of soccer fans definitely not enjoying that game.

After Berlin (and after a quick trip back to Vienna) we all headed to Paris. Paris is a beautiful city, and you could spend a lot of time there seeing everything it has to offer. We were only there for a couple of days, but we saw a lot in that time.

 The obligatory Eiffel Tower picture.

Versailles's backyard. 
It'd be nice to live there, but trimming the hedges would be a nightmare.

I should probably get going. Brenda will be home any minute, and there are a few more things I should get done before she arrives. Next week I'll be writing to you from Munich. Until then, have a great week!

No comments: