Wednesday, February 26, 2014

hump day

Hey All! Today officially marks the halfway point in my last semester of law school. We have thirteen weeks of class this semester and today is the middle of week seven. If you consider this in terms of my whole law school education, I am 11/12 finished. But who's counting? Ever since going to law school I've kept a close eye on where we were in the semester and exactly how far away the next break was. It helps me keep focused on the work I need to get done when I'd rather be watching a movie on Netflix. To my surprise, my classmates don't share my obsession with how many days are left in the semester at any given time. For example, in previous semesters I've mentioned to my classmates that we're just four or five weeks away from final exams and they usually just react with a panic attack or a mad dash to the library. I can certainly relate to their reactions, especially this semester when I have a few lengthy papers standing between me and graduation.

Last Saturday our class went to dinner at Inner Temple's dining hall. As you no doubt remember from a previous post (that's a joke), Inner Temple is one of the four Inns of Court that a law student must join to become a barrister (one of two types of lawyers in England, the other being a solicitor). Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to play with our phones during dinner so I wasn't able to snap a picture of the hall. I enjoyed chatting with a young barrister who sat near me as well as a law student from Manchester. The dinners are an important part of the legal tradition in England. Also included in that tradition are robes. We all had to put on robes over our suits before entering the dining hall, although non-lawyer guests weren't allowed to wear them.

I'm headed to Germany this weekend to see my wonderful wife who has been hard at work on Mozart's Così fan tutte. From what she tells me, they finished staging the opera today and will now start reviewing and having orchestra rehearsals. The show opens a week from Friday.

I should call it a night. I hope you're all having a wonderful week, and we'll talk to you next Tuesday!

No comments: