Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Oxford

Hey all! It's been life as usual here in London with lots of studying, classes, and field trips. Our most recent outing took us to the charming town of Oxford. We all got up early Saturday morning and hopped on a bus out of town, which ended up taking a lot longer than expected. I'm not exactly sure what the problem was - someone said there was a tree in the road, somebody else said it had to do with all the flooding - but our bus trip that was supposed to last an hour and a half ended up taking almost four hours. Luckily, when we arrived our kind tour guide agreed to show us around town even though we had missed our appointment with him by over an hour.

 Our tour guide took us to one of Oxford's beautiful colleges.

 I immediately thought of Hogwarts when I walked into this building. Apparently, the building that was used as the Great Hall in Harry Potter is actually in Oxford (this isn't it).

 I don't remember an organ in the Great Hall.

 There was gorgeous architecture all over the town.


Even though the trip started on a bad note, we ended up having a nice time. I expected Oxford to be bigger and more metropolitan but it actually felt like a charming, medium-sized college town. I imagine it's a very nice place to get a degree.

Brenda is once again in Frankfurt and has begun rehearsals for Mozart's Così fan tutte. She has a lot of friends in the cast, which always makes the rehearsal process more fun. I'm especially excited to see her in this opera because it's one of my favorites and she has such beautiful music to sing.

Speaking of Brenda, it's time for us to chat. I hope you all have a wonderful week and we'll talk to you next Tuesday!

No comments: