Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Atlanta

Hey folks! It's almost showtime in Milwaukee. Brenda and her fellow castmates have their final dress rehearsal tomorrow night for Mozart's Così fan tutte with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra. They've managed to put together an entirely new staging of the opera in a little over two weeks, which is pretty darn quick. Brenda and I are very excited to see all you who will be coming to the performance! If you'd like a sneak peek behind the scenes, here's a short video of the crew putting up the set.

This past weekend I flew down to Atlanta to see one of our best friends, Dan, who is a recent transplant to the city. Brenda and I haven't been able to see Dan and his wife Whitney nearly as much as we would like in recent years, but since we're in the same country for a change, I thought I'd pop down to see how he is liking his new stomping ground. 

Even though Dan has only been there a short time, he has already scouted out some excellent restaurants. I had fun trying a few different cuisines including some traditional southern dishes (e.g. grits, fried okra, and collard greens), Indian street food, and an excellent Japanese meal which was homemade by my talented host. We also made our way over to the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum where we learned a little more about our 39th president.

Meanwhile back in Milwaukee, Brenda was busy working, although she did get to go to a concert on Saturday night (Rufus Wainwright performing with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra) and an apple orchard on Sunday.

 I'm not sure what's more fun: picking the apples or going for a ride on the tractor.

 Brenda picked a lot of great looking apples. If only we had an oven in our hotel room to bake an apple pie!

Dan looking presidential in the recreated Oval Office at the Jimmy Carter Museum. You've got my vote, Dan.

So that's what we've been up to. I hope you all have a wonderful week, and we'll talk to you next Tuesday!

No comments: