Tuesday, November 3, 2015

der Knödel

Greetings, again, from Munich! Brenda and I returned to our home away from home yesterday for her second production of the season at the Bavarian State Opera - Die Entführung aus dem Serail. The nature of Brenda's work has her traveling around a lot, and so far in 2015 Brenda has spent forty-four nights at home in Frankfurt. That number will double by the end of the year, but as of right now we've been in Munich more in 2015 than anywhere else. Good thing we like it so much.

Next year we're going to be home a lot more, and I'm guessing most of you have heard why. Brenda and I are expecting a baby boy in late March, and we couldn't be more excited! We'll be having the baby in Germany, which means we'll have to learn some new German words (e.g. the German word for "baby" is, well, "baby" but trust me when I tell you it gets harder). We'll also have to familiarize ourselves with Germany's laws designed to support and protect pregnant women. One such law says that pregnant women (after the 17th week, I believe) are not allowed to work past 8:00 PM. That could be problematic for a singer who has most of her performances in the evening, but the law allows for women to waive that right. (The show can go on!) My point is that we're going to be learning a lot in the coming weeks and months, and we're thrilled about it. 

Happy Halloween!

In preparation for our little jack-o'-lantern's arrival, I've decided to change our blog from public to private. Since we started this blog in 2008, anyone with the URL has been free to read it. I'm not entirely comfortable, however, with the idea of posting pictures of our child for the whole world to see. So sometime in the next few weeks I'm going to change the blog's settings to limit who can read our posts. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I'll figure it out and let you know.

Until next time, have a great week!

No comments: