The audience probably enjoyed last night's performance for more than one reason. The first being that it was a premier meaning this was a brand spanking new production. Fresh out of the box. Second, the opera's conductor happens to be the brand spanking new music director at Oper Frankfurt. Third, the piece, which was written in 1978, was new and weird (I guess German audiences like new and weird) and the composer, Aribert Reimann, was at the show. He even came up on stage and took a bow. Lastly, the production values of the show were very high. The singers were very good and the baritone who played King Lear, Wolfgang Koch, was absolutely outstanding.
Seeing as this was a premier and all, there was a fancy party afterwards. All of the soloists, even if they only sang 14 words, were invited to attend the event. Brenda and I thought it would be best if we followed another couple to the party who had done this before. Michael and Barb McCown have been incredibly kind and helpful to us since we've moved here. Michael is a tenor in the company and he also is the guy who stabs me in my scene (I stab him first so I guess I deserve it).
The party resembled a wedding reception actually but instead of a best man or father getting up to make a speech the director of the company did the honors. I wish I could tell you what he said but it was in German and he was talking pretty fast so I really don't have any idea. At one point, however, I had my back to him and I was talking to the McCowns. All of a sudden they said "stand up, stand up". I was confused at first but then I did what I was told. I stood up, put my hands in my pockets, and smiled at the room of 150 plus artists, opera donors and opera company administrators. Pretty soon I heard "sit down, sit down" and so I did. The director of the company introduced all of the singers from smallest role (mine) to biggest. I had no idea ahead of time that was going to happen and really no indication that it was coming since he was speaking in German.
After the director of the company had finished the new conductor said a few words and then the composer. Lastly, a distinguished looking woman stood up and spoke. She turned out to be the mayor of Frankfurt. I thought about asking her for help with my residence permit.
That was our premier. We have another performance on Thursday. Its nice to get the first one behind us so we can really relax and enjoy the rest. A recording is being made of the opera. My 14 word aria will be immortalized. I will also be getting paid a fee for my involvement in the recording. My fee is three copies of the recording. Don't say anything but I would have done it for two.
Today we slept in and when we finally got up we took advantage of having internet in our apartment. This afternoon one of Brenda's college friends came into town. She will be staying with us for a week. Its really nice to have her here.
That gets you caught up with us. Well, me at least. I'll pester Brenda about writing another blog entry. I hope you have a great week!

No comments:
Post a Comment