Pigs apparently DO fly, because Brenda is writing the blog for a second consecutive week! This time I'm writing out of pure selfishness, I must admit. A computer game that Chad and I play together released a new expansion today, and when he gets back from class, I don't want any excuses from him to not play! So without further ado, let me tell you about the lovely week we had!
As I mentioned last week, we went to to Copenhagen this past weekend to visit our friend Florian. While I took a boring old plane, Chad's form of transportation was a bit more creative. There's a train from Hamburg that goes directly to Copenhagen, which confused us in the beginning, because Copenhagen is on an island. Is there a really big bridge you ask? No. The train drives ONTO A BOAT. A train! On a boat! It docks on the other side and the train continues on its way. I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn cool.
The boat that housed the train (and Chad) for about 45 minutes.
While on the boat, Chad had the opportunity to change money into the Danish currency. During the transaction however, he realized he didn't know exactly what the currency was, which led to a charming "Please change these euros into... Whatever it is they use for currency in Denmark!" It turns out they use kroner (crowns). We've been spoiled in our travels up until now, since all the countries we've visited recently have used the euro. Conversion is hard! 300 kroner sounds so much worse than 40 euro...
Chad arrived a couple of days before I did, and had a chance to walk around the city with Florian and his sweet parents, who were also in town to see Florian's performance. The city is full of bridges and ships, and is a beautiful combination of charming old buildings as well as some stunning modern architecture. The Danish language is baffling (in an awesome way) but they seem to know that and literally everyone we met spoke brilliant English! They don't even bat an eye when you speak English to them!
A view of Nyhavn.
On Saturday I joined in on the fun, and attended Florian's performance of the Messiah. Normally this piece is done as a concert, but it was presented as a staged opera in this case. I've heard this piece many times before, and it was interesting how the staging made certain parts of the music really come alive, and move me in ways the piece had never done before. Florian really gave a fantastic performance, and we were all very proud of our Frankfurter abroad!
A view of the stage, as well as part of the audience.
The house itself is incredibly beautiful,
complete with a big chandelier!
After the show, Florian took us to his favorite English pub, and I was shocked to discover how much it actually smelled like a pub in England! Of course it brought back a wave of good memories from our time in Glyndebourne. How funny to be in an English pub in Denmark, visiting our German friend. My, aren't we international!
Friends reunited!
Chenda, always happy to be together!
Now I'm back in Hamburg until Thursday, but Chad's able to come back with me to Frankfurt for the weekend. I'm hoping he'll help me clean the apartment in preparation for my twin Drew's arrival on Monday! It's been two and a half years since she's visited Germany, and I'm so excited for her to be here for almost two weeks! We'll even get a chance to come to Hamburg together to visit Chad. It promises to be a wonderful trip!
Until next time, have a wonderful week!
Copenhagen has pink pigeons?? Well, at least one!

No comments:
Post a Comment